The Horde Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Union is a collection of Horde roleplaying guilds in the EU server named Sporeggar.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is your character a Mary Sue?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ganjola

Ganjola

Is your character a Mary Sue? Empty
PostSubject: Is your character a Mary Sue?   Is your character a Mary Sue? EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 1:10 am

A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in literary criticism and particularly in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as wish-fulfillment fantasies for their authors or readers. Perhaps the single underlying feature of all characters described as "Mary Sues" is that they are too ostentatious for the audience's taste, or that the author seems to favor the character too highly. The author may seem to push how exceptional and wonderful the "Mary Sue" character is on his or her audience, sometimes leading the audience to dislike or even resent the character fairly quickly; such a character could be described as an "author's pet".

So, is your character one of theese?
How about you find out?

http://www.freewebs.com/aerosolspraycan/marysue.html

I scored a 6.
1 - 10 - The Non-Sue - You've dodged all the annoying cliches and made it to the coveted rank of Non-Sue. Congratulations! Your character is likely original and well-balanced.
Clicked the following:

Is the character a member of a resistance movement?

Does the character save the day, or another character's life?

Does the character get publicly married at any point?

Are the character's religious beliefs radically different from yours?

Has the character sworn vengeance?

Is he or she avenging the death of a close family member/beloved?
Does the character fail to successfully get revenge?

Has the character ever been...
A high-ranking military official?
An elite guard, agent, or fighter?

Has the character ever been...
An illegitimate child?

Does the character have a strange scar or marking (such as a tattoo)?

Is the character's name unusual in another way?
Is it a name the character chose for him or herself? (Surname only)
Back to top Go down
Thar'grash

Thar'grash

PostSubject: Re: Is your character a Mary Sue?   Is your character a Mary Sue? EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 6:10 am

Ah, I scored 2 points less than you with Thar'grash when I did that test a week ago. My peon character had -2, which was not on purpose, eheh.

Good luck with this test!
Back to top Go down
https://nomore.forumotion.net
Akhuilo

Akhuilo

PostSubject: Re: Is your character a Mary Sue?   Is your character a Mary Sue? EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 10:21 am

I got 8.
1 - 10 - The Non-Sue - You've dodged all the annoying cliches and made it to the coveted rank of Non-Sue. Congratulations! Your character is likely original and well-balanced.
Clicked the following:
Does the character have a name you really, really like?
Did you spend more than a day looking for just the right name? -Took a few days until I got satisfied with my name.
Does/Has the character ever had full or partial amnesia? -An accident with a wind rider caused amnesia and 2 months of coma.
Does the character have a twin, a clone, or a very similar sibling of the same gender? -Wreth, my brother, who was the first character I RP'ed seriously.
Who you also play? -Wreth is my alt.
Back to top Go down
trician

PostSubject: bugger...   Is your character a Mary Sue? EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 3:04 pm

I think I got a real high score mainly from playing belf... Poor Trician get stamped Mary Sue due to being overweight, apparently. And saving people's lives. Say, what's a poor priest gonna do?

So my first try put up 25, which I think is way too high. Even if I admit his story is a bit over the top, none of the "over the top" stuff really came through during this test, so they can't be that common.

Anyhooooow... by removing
Is the character named after you (this includes your first, middle, and last names, and any nicknames or online names you use)?
Is the character's name an unusual spelling of a more common name or word?
and
Is the character's name/nickname sourced from mythology, video games, books, or anything similar?
it fell down to 13. Seriously, from 25 to 13 all because of the name Very Happy

I suppose it's all how you consider it... The story about Trician's name is quite simple, or not... When playing some game yeeeeears back I used the nick "Tricia McMillan" which is one of the names of Trillian in tHHGttG. I like it and stuck to it. When making a male char I still wanted to use the "Tric" part, since that's mostly what people have been calling me online since. Sticking it with "Ian" (which I sorta got from nowhere, just thought it fit), I ended up with Tric'ian (I count the ' as necessary, thus did not check "Does the character's name contain needless apostrophes or hyphens?"). Thus... yes the name is sourced from a book (+1), it's an unusual spelling of a more common name (+1). Which leaves "Is the character named after you (this includes your first, middle, and last names, and any nicknames or online names you use)? " to push +10 points Shocked

*coughs* Well, I did check quite a few others...
Is the character highly attractive for his or her race only through his or her concerted effort? I checked this since even though I don't mean to, female belves seems to be attracted to my char. Don't ask me why, I don't get it. But sometimes he does dress up. Few likes his hair though, for some strange reason, I think it's a guy thing, since I like it. And most female belves I run in to are played by guys anyhow.
Is the character an elf?Duh.
Does the character have a body that is atypical for his or her race and age? (ex., a petite, slender orc or a voluptuous Blood Elf).This test should really ask for the char's gender and the player's... but Trician is a little chubby for a belf. At least that's what everyone keeps telling him, so it must be true. He's not really that fond of exercise. He's a scholar for crying out loud!
Does it detract from the character's overall attractiveness?This gives -2, so I suppose it explains the prior question.
Is the character overweight? See above. This doesn't change the score, though. The follow-up (will this change) does, but I haven't checked that. Trician doesn't care if he is. Well, maybe he does, he's a belf, but people love his belly too much.
Does the character have a strange scar or marking (such as a tattoo)? Trician does have a mark, though I won't say what or where. It's not like he flashes it.
Does it mark them as "special" in some way? I'm sorry to say that it does, it's part of the Sin'selama lore, to make it all fit.

Is the character the last surviving member of a house/clan/family/practioner of a style of fighting or magic? Due to everyone on Trician's father's side of the family stopped playing, he's the last one standing. If you don't count his kids that is. Hm, maybe this one shouldn't be checked, considering his contribution to the belven race have been outstanding.
Does the character suffer from guilt about something terrible that he or she did in the past?
... and it IS the character's fault? What's to say without spoiling? He's done several things he's not proud of. And there's some things he has not done which he think he should have, thus the guilt.
Does/Has the character ever had full or partial amnesia? Partial. I'm actually not sure about the circumstances, but he must have asked someone to clear his memories at some point. Strangely, that person also cleared the memory of the memory loss Razz
Does the character tend to angst a lot, over the past or present? Trician is a chicken (no not literary) and he's done some bad things in the past. Of course he's anxious.

Does the character have skills above and beyond what their class would allow him or her?
Or is the character a combination of more than one class? Due to the above mentioned guilt he's turned from mage to priest. He was never a good mage anyhow, so the only thing he does is magically dry his clothes once in a while. Have you tried walking around in a wet dress?
Does the character have a dependency or addiction that is or would be very hard to break (e.g. alcoholism, drugs, gambling, sex addiction, a potentially dangerous sexual fetish, etc.)?
Is the character never able to overcome this vice?
Is the character a Blood Elf? Again... Duh. Lore is lore.
Is the character selfish, manipulative, sadistic, or generally lacking empathy for people? Did I mention belf? Lucky for me, people don't realize just how selfish Trician is Twisted Evil

Does the character save the day, or another character's life?
Through magical intervention? Ok, so it's not really my fault that people decide on dying and my char happen to be a priest?
Is the character from a noble house? Yes. And an out-cast at that (or back when there was someone to cast him out). He doesn't consider himself part of the House, though, but he's still raised as an ass.
Does the character have a fairly easy time with his or her arcane magic addiction? Sin'selama storyline plays in here, and the fact that he's using holy magics.
Does the character smirk a lot, or is he or she generally stuck up? Not much smirking (none at all, actually), but stuck up, yes.

Strangely, none of the priest specific choices fit.

Wow... that was a long post. In the end I suppose that if Trician's story would miss half of the things I marked, he'd be really boring to play. Personally I would place this char at a 20, borderline. Mostly because of the things which had no options. Then again, playing belf does give a lot of Mary Sue credit points.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is your character a Mary Sue?   Is your character a Mary Sue? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is your character a Mary Sue?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Horde Union :: Guests' Hut :: Guest chat-
Jump to: